Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Oh The Irony

I'm finding something funny right now - okay let's be honest, not much is really funny right now - let's call it ironic.  I spent so much time prepping for having Noah, for the labor process.  I read all about natural childbirth, watched movies on it, interviewed a midwife, prayed about it, read more, went to prenatal yoga for almost 20 weeks straight, went to normal power yoga to stay in shape, took six weeks (should have been seven, but we had Noah on the night of the seven class!) of childbirth classes and the whole labor process took less than five hours.  I was sort of like crew all over again.  Literally 100's of hours of training for every one minute in a race on the water.

Noah enters the world.  He needs to eat.  Enter breastfeeding. I had read a few pamphlets on it, heard people tell me how hard it was, had one childbirth class where we talked all about the benefits of it, and that was it.  I decided it was the route I wanted to go.  I thought, okay maybe he'll have latching on issues but I'll have someone show me how to fix it and we'll be good.  It'll be hard at first because it'll be every three hours but we'll make it.  Wow.  Talk about being underprepared.  At least mentally underprepared.  Someone should have you take twenty weeks of class on mentally preparing for feeding your baby.  Seriously it is so draining.  I'm having milk production issues which means no matter how much I feed Noah he doesn't get enough milk from me.  We're working on it but it is hard.  And demoralizing.  And gives me a major guilt trip.  Good thing I have so many people surrounding me who are encouraging and who are constantly reminding me I'm a great mom to Noah even if my body is slow to figure things out.  So we're on a regiment to try and fix the problem.  It's a good thing Noah is such a cutie :).  That plus visions of going to Ireland without a breast pump and without bottles are keeping me going haha.

Yes I want to go to Ireland with him and Spencer. We'll see if it happens.  So far though I'm getting on the paperwork!  Noah's birth certificate: check!  Social Security number: check!  Well the card is in the mail so almost check.  Next on the list is getting a certified copy of our marriage license, so I can update my passport (yes, yes I know five years later is a little late to be changing my name but no one cares what name you travel under and changing it costs money!).  After that it's new passports for Noah and I and then deciding if flying across the ocean with a little man is really a good idea . . . TBD.  I'll let you know what we decide :).


2 comments:

  1. Aw friend, sorry the breastfeeding part has been so hard! It's not your fault that your body isn't as educated as you are about milk production. You are a good mom.
    Um also, not sure if this will be helpful or unhelpful but for what it's worth, someone I know here has said that breastfeeding is like sex. The more stressed out you are, the worse it goes, ha. Their point was, take deep breaths, try not to guilt-trip yourself about what does or doesn't come easily, and allow your body time to figure it out, since being intentional about relaxing = happier body.
    When she said that I remember being like, well, that is not really something I need to know, but maybe it's relevant for you :)
    Welllll on that weird note I will go work on my house ;) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES you are a good mom! You probably know all this stuff, but drinking tons of water, nursing on demand, eating oatmeal and taking fenugreek/ blessed thistle (or drinking the mother's milk tea) are great ways to help your supply. Also hot showers can get your milk flowing. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete