Sunday, January 19, 2014

Game Plan

Well.  This week was not so great.  I won't subject you to the whole pity party, but basically Noah screamed for what felt like forever and we were so off our normal schedule by the end of the week that I felt like we would never get back to our normal routine.  He's learned how to pull up in his crib and basically before every nap time he screamed for 30 minutes straight while holding onto the bars in his crib and looking like he was in jail.  Oh and he also threw his toys out of the crib.  And knocked the monitor on the floor in protest.  Yeah not so fun.  It happened multiple times and some of the times he never did actually fall asleep I just couldn't handle the constant screaming and got him up to go do something distracting.  So, yeah when he was awake he had this zombie like stare on his face from being so worn out.  He pretty much fell asleep between 6:30 and 7 pm each night and slept till morning.

Poor little guy and really (more importantly?) poor me.  I felt crazy by Saturday morning.  I felt like I couldn't figure out what he needed or what the routine should even be.  I thought he needed to nap more but then he would scream so much I thought maybe he just wants to be awake.  I thought he was maybe sick but then he would crawl around and grin and be a perfect angel in the nursery or at the coffee shop.  Enter lots of mom doubt about whether or not I really knew how to be his mom or not.

Oops I said no pity party!!  So after this craziness and after a weekend of Spencer trying to give me a break so I wouldn't have to constantly be thinking about it, we made a game plan.  We bought light blocking curtains.  We're looking for a sound machine.  We hung up a curtain over the glass door between his room and my home office so he can't see me working while he's throwing a screaming fit.  I decided when he wakes up in the morning for his bottle, even if it's 6:15 (I know, I know that's not that early) I'm going to get up and actually start the day with him instead of letting him fall back asleep in bed with us and messing up the morning routine.  And, I'm going to try and get back on our normal nap time routine.  I'm going to assume (for at least this coming week) that this was just a fluke and that he actually does still need two naps not just one long one which is a more normal transition around one year to 18 months.

We'll see how it goes.

Hopefully next weekend when he goes to Gigi and Pops' for the night it'll be happy for everyone, not a "please, please take my baby so I don't go insane" kind of overnight :).

No comments:

Post a Comment