Thursday, February 21, 2013

Texas Photo Montage


We're back!  Our two little mini vacations were wonderful and restful.  Now we are trying to get our motivation back to work on our pre-baby to do list, granted it's mostly self imposed, but some of it - like move our bedroom furniture out of the nursery and then move Noah's furniture into the nursery - should probably happen sometime soon!
 
Apparently it was too cold on our first mini vacation for me to take my hands, let alone my iphone out of my pocket much, so I have no pictures.  Plus, I was having to pause and catch my breath all the time, so I was slightly distracted by the slight suffication feeling at all times.  Thankfully, it must have just been the altitude since now that I'm back in Tulsa I'm having no trouble breathing, just trouble fitting in my clothes!  Other than the lack of air though, the trip was really relaxing.  Spencer skied two days while I had basically no agenda other than getting a prenatal massage and doing some window shopping with the girls.  Okay not entirely window shopping, I did get some cute jewelry at the outlet malls and a finally a chambray shirt!  Just in a size larger than I would normally need, oh the joys of figuring out what to wear while prego :).  We ate delicious food, heard Brent preach on the parables in a squeeky teenage girl voice thanks to a cold (which managed to be encouraging and entertaining at the same time), and had lots of fun just hanging out with our friends minus their cute, but distracting to serious conversation, kiddos.
 
Fast forward a few days and we headed south to warmer and sunnier climates in Texas for some R&R with just the two of us, our babymoon if you are into that kind of lingo.  We had pretty much no agenda other than getting massages and enjoying the sunshine, oh and seeing Spencer's brother play in a concert Friday night.  And no in case you are wondering I do not get massages all the time, it just seemed like an appropriate thing to do on a babymoon and well in Colorado I didn't have to buy lift tickets so it cancelled out ;).  Okay I'm done justifying my actions haha.
 
San Antonio was absolutely beautiful.  Other than the fact that our resort was under a renovation which included guys with chainsaws starting up right at 8 am right outside our window, it was really peaceful and relaxing.  We walked around the golf course path on the resort under huge old trees, ate delicious mexican breakfast tacos, worked out a little in the resort gym,  and then headed to the day spa for our massages.  This place was so relaxing it was ridiculous.  After the massage (complete with hot towels on my feet and a pillow with room for my prego belly) we had access to the facility for the whole day, which included saunas, hot tubs, steam rooms, giant showers, jars full of chocolate chips and craisins and biscotti, cucumber water, and an outdoor heated pool with chaises in the sun.  Yes please.   
 
 
And did I mention we were pretty much the only people there?  We laid out in the sun and read our books and felt completely spoiled.  Oh yeah so small back story, this is the resort I stayed at last year on valentine's day.  For a work conference.  By myself.  So we redeemed valentine's day in San Antonio this go around :).  We headed down to the riverwalk area for dinner.  Here's us taking a picture of ourselves.
 

 
Then this lady sitting on a bench by us offered to take a picture for us.  Zoom out - there you go, my prego belly at 28 weeks!  So far it hasn't gotten too huge and uncomfortable, but people are finally getting the guts to ask me if I'm pregnant or just going ahead and asking me when my due date is.  I guess the start of the third trimester is a legitimate time to actually look pregnant ;).
 
 

 

After walking around for awhile we managed to find the fresh mex place I ate at last vday (by myself, I know I'm weird, but I didn't want fast food when I could expense it!).  Other than the fact that I could only try the delicious margarita instead of getting one myself it was delicious!!  I mean how can baked cheese dip with chorizo be bad? :)  Oh also, we had the Mariachi band sing for us!
 
 
 

After stuffing our faces, we started walking back to our car and came across an outdoor ampitheater with an outdoor screen playing When Harry Met Sally which we both realized we had never seen.  So we sat in the breezy 70 degree weather and watched.  I couldn't help thinking it was one of the most peaceful days we've had in a long time.


Oh and how could I forget, we also had yummy coffee and pastries at a local, hipster coffee shop we read about in the hotel magazine.  Yep pretty much a perfect day.

The next day we went back to the hipster coffee shop, read for awhile (this trip it was the Girl Who Played With Fire) and then headed to the zoo!  Again the weather was AMAZING.  And the zoo was really well laid out and beautiful.  We saw hippos up close in a giant water tank (so ridiculously huge!!), we saw monkeys taunting eachother, we saw zebras and a wild dog that looked kind of disturbing.  On our third try we finally saw the lazy old lioness move from behind her rock hiding place to out in the sun where she promptly laid back down and went to sleep.  And we saw these weird giant anteaters!  So cool.  And it made me want to have a little kid (I know good thing right?).  We heard one little kid say, "mom, it's a good thing you have a phone because if that lion gets out you can call animal control."  We saw another little girl with one of those leash backpacks literally pulling her dad in the direction she wanted to go.  Just remember that when you decide to buy my kid a leash backpack ;). 

 
Wow I should write blog posts more often, or somehow break them up, this is ridiculosu!!  After the zoo it was off to Austin, and I think I will do the second half of the trip another night.  Spencer's been reading to me from the book his grandpa's friend wrote about WWII and I have no idea what's happening.  I better focus!  Plus I need to put in another load of laundry.  And maybe make some hot chocolate considering it is NOT 70 degrees and sunny here today, it's cold and rainy and dreary. And on that note, I'm out.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on third trimester!! I am so excited for you guys :).

    Also, I've totally eaten at that TexMex place in your picture. Yum.

    ReplyDelete