Thursday, May 6, 2010

Productivity

Well the garden class is done! Yes we took eight hours of gardening class on everything you could want to know about shrubs, flowering trees, shade trees, evergreens, and azaleas that grow well in Oklahoma. It was definitely drinking from a fire hose, but it got us excited about our yard. Okay I think I'm more of a dreamer on this and Spencer's doing all the hard work. So last night we were both extremely productive, just in different realms :). I hit up DSW and found some really cute sandals that are my soul shoes according to Libby and got Kat a bday present and Spencer tackled our out of control yard for hours and hours.


Our lovely overgrown patio, yes it is a patio. We discovered brick underneath the dirt and brambles and HUGE poison ivy plants. Spencer sprayed all this with weed killer last night and we're hoping in a few days it'll all look black and dead so we can haul it away without having to go the hospital from breathing in poison ivy fumes.


He also cut down all these random things that were growing in a huge brush pile in this random spot in our front yard and discovered there is actually a pretty oak tree growing there. So we left that for future generations :). Yes it is very small right now, but whatever haha.

He also planted these lovely gerber daisies we picked out from Home Depot. I think they are so cute :).

Alright!! I think that looks pretty great! Too bad the rest of the yard doesn't look this clean and organized and colorful :). We'll get there!

On another note. We went to the botanical gardens with my parents this weekend in St. Louis and I bought a random book on eating local. I like farmer's markets so I thought, what the heck? why not read about it. Well it looks like if we try to grow local we may be starving to death! We planted about 18 plants in this bed and I think only 4 of them survived! Silly Oklahoma wind blew 50 mph the day after we put our 2 inch plants into the ground and killed them all! Good thing I have another 18 plants still in my seeder trays in the house :). I guess they were too little to be outside yet! So I guess we might not starve, or we might just have to keep eating Chipotle haha.
And this is my lovelly lesson in patience. My rose bush which I want to have 20 roses on it already, but it's not complying. It is slowly growing, probably like it should, but I want pretty smelling roses! Okay well I'll keep watering it and hopefully remember to fertilize it also.


Alright that's all on the gardening adventures for today. Saturday it's off to the local nursery to look for flowering trees and encore azaleas!

2 comments:

  1. haha so domesticated!!! wow. I can't wait to come see your house in person. let's see... 14 days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoo to gardens! Yours will be beautiful! :o) Hoping you get that last crepe myrtle in.... *grin*

    ReplyDelete